08 November 2009
Rewards
Last week was absolutely crazy for me.. but definitely in a good way. My mentor teacher was sick and she was out the entire week. So, I got to teach three times, which was great. Not that I take someone else's ill fortunes to my advantage, but I absolutely got some great experience, especially since the first day of teaching was really last minute and I had to learn a lesson really quickly. But overall, the teaching all went REALLY well. The kids responded well and I think they are becoming really comfortable with me, which was a really great feeling. Although teaching an entire day is quite a rush, it is EXHAUSTING. I am really grateful that when we are teaching five days a week in the winter and spring, we only have class two nights a week. However, the teaching this week really confirmed my decision to be in this program and my love for teaching. I know that I am going to love being a teacher and I am so excited to have kids, and a classroom of my own. As tough as this all is sometimes, the kids really make everything worth it. It is so awesome to have a fourteen year-old looking up (not literally, in my case) to you to learn. I have heard that teaching is one of the most rewarding jobs in the world and I am already firmly starting to believe that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yayy I'm glad that it went so well :) Although this program is busy and drives us all crazy at times it absolutely will be worth it in the end which we can tell from our time in the classroom. It will only get better as time goes on!
ReplyDeleteGosh, I know what you mean about being exhausted. Being on your feet and talking until your voice goes raw, the whole rush of being up there, and then answering questions on the spot--it's all really tiring! But it's a nice kind of exhausting too, like a job well done and a worthwhile day, as opposed to be exhausted from the tedious, useless work we do in some classes. But being able to teach during this semester has made me want to do all the other stuff just to get done and be able to just teach and enjoy my kids. :-)
ReplyDelete